There are 2 types of chembu or taro plant .Taro plant is highly nutritious.
Most edible taro has irritating, needle-like crystals (oxalic acid), and must be cooked to dissolve it. Undercooked taro root and taro leaves can cause extremely unpleasant itching in your mouth.
But the big taro plant is said to cause less itching . So i have used the big chembu for cooking this recipe.
To reduce itching tendency always apply oil on ur hands before you start touching the taro plant. We also call it "thalu" in kerala. This is something very special we make in kerala at my place.
- Thale pieces - 5 Cup
- Turmeric Powder- 1/4 tsp
- Chilly Powder- 1 tsp
- Green Chilly- 4 No
- Crushed mustard- 1/4 tsp
- Coconut grated- 1 Cup
- Mustard - 1 tsp
- Red Chilly- 3 nos
- Fenugreek seeds- 1/4 tsp
- Curd 1 Cup
- Salt as required
- Oil for cooking
- Curry leaves
|Kanni chembe big chembe|
|kanni chembe cut lengthwise|
|kannichembe skin peeled off|
|kanni chembe cut into thin pieces|
- Add the thale , 1 cup water, turmeric powder, chilly powder into the cooker.
- Cook in the cooker to 5 or 6 whistles.
- Grind the coconut, greenchily, crushed mustard just for 1 or 2 rounds.Make sure it doesnt become fine paste.
- Add this grinded paste to the cooked thale.
- Add 1/2 cup water and cook for sometime.
- When it start to boil add the curd .
- Add oil to the pan , add the redchilly mustard and fenugreek seeds. Let the mustard splutter.
- Add this to the curry.
- Add the curry leaves.
- Tranfer to serving dish .
- Serve with hot rice.